Saturday, November 7, 2009

Glacier Park Horror Story - Corruption in Montana's legal system

I could have never imagined I would live the most horrifying experience of my life during my visit to Glacier National Park. I am nearly blind, i.e. no driver's license, but still wanted to see the west, just didn't know how. I had planned this bike trip for over ten years, while I was in graduate school at USC - Los Angeles. I thought I was in a first-world country, until I ended up in jail because I refused to admit something I had not done and did not give up $75. I was banned from entering Glacier NP and prosecuted to the fullest and sent back to jail, even after it became clear I had not broken the law.

Summary

I came to the US in 1996, to start a Ph.D. in Computer Science at the Univ. of Southern California. After graduating, I finally found enough time to go to all the places I always wanted to go: Yosemite, Yellowstone, Glacier, etc. Being blind of one eye and keeping less than 10% vision on the other, I cannot have a driver's license and had to use a bicycle to travel around. On Memorial Day 2009, I went to Glacier Park to ride my bike on the Going-To-The-Sun road towards Logan Pass. I was, however, intercepted by the rangers; I was harassed, threatened and humiliated. Some other person had guessed I might have stolen his money. Ranger Steve Dodd's strategy was to force me to admit guilty and give up $75 of my money, else he would find some other way to hurt me. I invited them to search through all my gear, but I explained I was not going to admit something I had not done. Consequently, Ranger Dodd, after four hours of unsuccessful search, cited and arrested me for having obtained my disability access pass illegally; if I had been on the road, riding my bike, the last several months and "was not paying any rent, lease or mortgage, I could not claim I was residing in the U.S. and therefore obtained my disability pass illegally". Moreover, the next day, with my release from jail, I was banned from entering Glacier Park, unless it was to attend my court hearing on August 21st. As I complained to Glacier Park for Ranger Steve Dodd's practices, they opposed my motion to the court to remove the ban; they argued I was a threat to the safety of the community. They lied to the court, they wrotefalse reports.... They even used the fact that I had filed a complaint to argue "that made me more dangerous". More disturbing, the judge bought the argument and my motion, as well as my complaint, were dismissed. In July, they presented the evidence against me: the disability pass application form with my signed statement that I am permanently disabled and domiciled in the U.S. Although they could verify the accuracy of both statements with my passport, they asked me for a $500 settlement and, as I refused, continued prosecution. During the summer I went to ride my bike on the Beartooth Hwy and Yellowstone. On my way back for the August 21st court hearing, I traveled to Glacier's eastern side. On August 20th I rode my bike from St. Mary to West Glacier through the 'Sun' road, as I thought I could enter the park if it was to attend a hearing. One ranger saw me near Avalanche around 10:30pm and said he would "tell the judge about my behavior". My lawyer tried to explain that the condition read: "I was not allowed in Glacier park except to attend a court hearing" and that was what I was doing the night before. Judge Robert M. Holter, however, put me again in custody, considering I should have used US-2 instead. The judge had previously dismissed, without reading, my motion to have the case dismissed, as it was served by my lawyer. The next Monday, a higher official at the prosecution decided to finally put an end to all that non-sense and dismissed the charge.

I believe what happened to me was wrong. It is a shame to Glacier National Park, it does not represent the people of Montana and should not be acceptable in a country that takes pride of being the leader of the free world. I hope somebody would do something, so that it does not happen again.

I am looking for a lawyer or any person with legal knowledge that may help me assess my legal options against Ranger Steve Dodd and the corruption in Glacier National Park.

I am also looking for any person in the media that may help me publicly expose Ranger Steve Dodd's practices and the corruption in Glacier National Park, as well as bring some democracy to Montana's legal system (law enforcement, attorneys and judges). I have met truly wonderful people in Montana and they certainly do not deserve authorities of this kind.

1 comment:

  1. Steve Dodd is an animal and should be arrested for his old practices. I dealt with him as well and ended up in jail twice and was proven not guilty both times.

    ReplyDelete